Sunday, July 26, 2009

Festival T-Shirt Design by Jamie Oliff


Jamie Oliff was an early mentor of mine in the late 80's, teaching me amazing things about timing (like the importance of a single frame) and giving me encouragement when I started teaching (and hiring me back as an animator during my summer break, when he was directing some of the first Ren & Stimpy shows).

This design is for the Ottawa International Animation Festival T-Shirt, back when the festival director was Tom Knott (now a Laika recruiter). Tom made the design a competition among local animators (now it's commissioned) which was a great idea and connected the festival with the community.

Jamie did the design for the preceding festival too, but I don't have it. It was of dogs playing frisbee in front of the Parliment Buildings and the frisbees were phenakistoscopes!

Jamie Oliff is the co-author of the soon-to-be classic: "Thinking Animation" that looks at 3D animation from a 2D perspective. I think Jamie's currently at Rhthym & Hues, but he's worked at the major LA studios (one of his characters was Mulan's "Mushu").

This post doesn't have anything to do with the alumni, but I wanted to publish this great image.


1 comment:

Daly City Irrigation said...

Thank youu for being you